In the interests of transparency, REDD-Monitor has taken a look at Charles Mauro’s business operations and sent him some questions. Charles Mauro is CEO of two companies: REDD-Carbon and Iceus Global. Little information is available about either company. Even less is available about the companies’ previous experience with carbon trading.
We’ll start with the post on LinkedIn:
The photograph was taken from flickr – it’s a photograph taken on Dorrigo plateau in Mid-North NSW, Australia. As it’s in Australia it would not be possible to sell REDD carbon credits from this forest.
According to the “What we do best” page, REDD-Carbon partners “with project owners and deliver financial and consultancy solutions to our investors.” The company’s “international product portfolio” includes both voluntary and compliance credits (“Gold Standard CERs”). This is interesting, as no such thing as compliance REDD currently exists and will not exist until there is a REDD agreement at the UN level.
Clicking on the “Team REDD-Carbon” link reveals that the “team” consists of one man: Charles Mauro.
Incidentally, REDD-Carbon’s website bears a more than passing resemblance to that of Aleatoric Media Group Inc., “The Carbon PR Specialist”:
Charles Mauro registered Aleatoric Media Group’s website on 14 January 2008. “Team AMG” consists of Claudia L Bond, (VP PR) and Charles Mauro (Consultant). The postal address of both REDD-Carbon and Aleatoric is a P.O. Box in La Jolla, California, USA.
On his LinkedIn profile, Mauro describes himself as CEO of Iceus Global. The Iceus Global website was established on 15 October 2008. The company seems to have been registered on 10 August 2006, in New South Wales, Australia.
Most of the Iceus Global website is still “To be done”:
Of course, all this proves is that Charles Mauro registered a couple of very similar websites and is CEO of another company that has not yet finished its website. As far as I’m aware, that is neither illegal nor unethical. But none of the information about these companies provides any reassurance about the validity of the 1.5 million “vintage” REDD credits that Charles Mauro is hoping to sell at a “heavily discounted” rate.
REDD-Monitor sent the following questions to Charles Mauro and looks forward to posting his response.
UPDATE – 29 March 2012: Mauro replied on 27 March 2012. His response is posted in full here. He declined to answer most of the questions.
From: Chris Lang
Date: 21 March 2012 16:44
Subject: REDD in Mato Grosso
To: Charles Mauro
Greetings from Jakarta! My name is Chris Lang and I run a website called REDD-Monitor (www.redd-monitor.org). I saw your recent post on LinkedIn (http://linkd.in/GE5bPY) about REDD credits from Mato Grasso Brazil. I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions about these REDD credits.
1. Are any details about the project from which these REDD credits come available to the public?
2. Has a project design document been produced for the project? Is this publicly available? If not, why not?
3. Has the project been validated and verified under CCBA or VCS? Two projects in Mato Grosso are listed on the CCBA website – are your REDD credits from either of these projects?
4. Please provide details of the project – what area is covered, how do you propose to avoid deforestation in the project area and how has the number of carbon credits been calculated? How will the project be monitored?
5. Has a process of free, prior and informed consent been carried out with indigenous people living in the project area?
6. In your post on LinkedIn, you mentioned that the credits are “heavily discounted”. At what price are you selling the credits? Why are they “heavily discounted”?
7. Has a benefit sharing agreement with indigenous people living in the project area been worked out? How much will the indigenous people receive and how will the money be passed on to them?
8. How many people does your company REDD-Carbon employ? And how many people are employed by Iceus Global, your other company?
9. Is the Mato Grosso project the only REDD project that REDD-Carbon is currently involved in? Could you please provide details of any other REDD-type projects that you are involved in.
10. Have any of your companies previously sold carbon credits? If so, please provide details.
Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Please consider your response to be on the record.
Regards, Chris Lang